Sunday, August 30, 2009

Addie's First Day of Kindergarten

The first day of Kindergarten was an exciting day for everyone. Alex and Maycie insisted on wearing their backpacks, too.
Addie got to go to the store with mom and pick out her own first day of school outfit. She did a pretty good job. She was so excited that she slept in her outfit the night before.

Walking to the school building. Maycie and Alex weren't moving fast enough for Addie.


Barnette Elementary School.
Huntersville, NC

Mrs. Key and Addie
Addie had a real sour attitude about starting Kindergarten until we went to the school open house a few days before the start of school and met her teacher, Mrs. Key. That, along with the class pet fish, got Addie really excited to start.

The great thing about Kindergarten here is they do a staggered start, so during the first week of school they split the children and they only attend one day. That way they start with a small group of about 4-5 kids and the teacher can acclimate them a little better.


I think Addie was most excited about riding the bus. I had to beg her to let me drive her to school on the first day, but I said she could ride the bus on the way home. She did great and got off on the right stop.
Someone asked me later that day if I had cried sending my first child off to school. I responded that I honestly hadn't thought about crying. I was so preoccupied with getting Addie ready and keeping her excited about it that being weepy didn't even enter my mind. It helped that I waited an extra year to start her. I don't think either of us were ready last year. I'm so glad I waited and I hope she'll be glad instead of mad someday, too.

Welcome home snuggles from Tiger.


2 comments:

Alison B said...

Addie looks thrilled!! That is just wonderful. So happy for both of you.

Macdonalds said...

WOW! I hope I'm ready for this next year... Preschool has been hard enough. Addie looks adorable, I'm glad she is excited. They truly grow up so fast. I love the bts dinner-so fun I may have to copy it too.