Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back to School Feast

I love traditions. There have been many that I have adopted from my childhood, but I'm always searching for more. This year I wanted to start a really good Back-to-School tradition since it was Addie's first year of Kindergarten and Maycie in preschool. I wish I could claim this idea as my own, but I stumbled across it just in the nick of time on the Nienie Dialogues (if you have read yet, you must!). Thanks Nienie for a new tradition.



The first annual Back-to-School Feast!

The 2009-2010 Macdonald Family school year theme:

"Little Princesses: Daughters of a King"
We combined the feast with our Family Home Evening lesson and introduced the theme and what it meant. We discussed how Addie and Maycie were princesses because they were daughters of Heavenly Father. We discussed how princesses act. They are polite. They are obedient. They help others and are kind. All I have to do is ask, "How do princesses act?" and they usually remember what to do. We ended the night with Rob giving them their special back-to-school father's blessing. It was a very fun night.

The feast part wasn't really about the food (although the kids loved the glass bottles of root beer we had). It was really more about the presentation and making it a special event. We had fresh flowers, special place settings and the girls had their own homemade crown.


Their own back-to-school cakes.







5 comments:

Alison B said...

cute, cute, idea!!! love the crayon cakes!! good job. you are so creative!

Kristen said...

Are you kidding me?!!!!! YOU are OFFICIALLY MOTHER of the Year! I love it! You had to have spent hours on those cakes. Not a homemakers drop of blood in my system. How did it all go to you? Miss you.

Liesl Shurtliff said...

Way to show the rest of us regular mom's up.

finau said...

Wait, did you say your name was Martha Stewart? I am dying on several levels. uh-may-zing.

Kelly said...

Wow that is sooo cool. The cakes and crowns are amazing :) I love that you combined it with FHE. {sigh} Will you and Rob adopt me?