Friday, September 17, 2010

Girl's Camp

Gastonia Stake Girls Camp 2010
at Camp Wayfayer in Hendersonville, NC.
Theme: Follow the Yellow Brick Road
.
When my dear friend, Sandy, returned from Girls Camp 2009 as the Stake camp director, I immediately began "campaigning" for Ward Camp Leader. Since only two leaders from each ward get to go (the other being the YW president), I knew that was my only chance. It may sound crazy that I wanted to go to "camp" with 200 teenage girls. Not at this camp. We slept in cabins with bunks, had delicious meals prepared for us by our fantastic kitchen crew, swam in the lake and pool and danced the night away in the huge outdoor covered gym. This was NOT roughing it. You may think that those luxurious defeat the purpose of Girl's Camp. However, all of our girls have a wonderfully uplifting experience while still completing the requirements for camp certification.
.
With Sandy once again in charge the whole thing was a huge success with every person contributing. All the adult leaders and youth leaders had multiple jobs to keep the camp running smoothly. I was put as the 1st level leader meaning I slept and tried to keep track of nearly thirty 12-13 year old girls. Needless to say there was some drama, but still a blast.

Here we are in the covered gym doing one of our many line dances. I don't remember the last time I danced that much. It was a good thing to considering how much delicious food we were being fed.

For one night we gave the kitchen crew the night off and the girls cooked the dinner with their wards in the great outdoors. Our girls made fajitas, which may not be a traditional camp food, but it turned out fantastic and we actually ended up feeding a couple wards that has less success cooking their dinners than we did.




Victoria Durant, Shaylene Perez and Camille Baldwin looking good while waiting for dinner.



One of the best parts of camp was "the blob". We each took turns jumping off the platform and catapulting the each other into the water. Our fabulous priesthood leaders were always the best at catapulting the girls the highest.


This fun night was entitled "Games in Oz". Lots of different games-this one being about trust- called the tornado drop.

This game was called "Ruby Slipper Hopscotch".


Here's all the first level girls.


Silly version of first level girls.

Listening to the morning announcements while eating our delicious breakfast in the dining hall.

2 comments:

Liesl Shurtliff said...

I was tired when I woke up this morning and now I am more tired just looking at the pictures of camp. But it looks like it was fun.

Kristen said...

Camp in NC is way better than camp in UT. What's up with that? I've gone to the same lame camp site near Fairview UT since I was 12. Depressing. Maybe I need to move...... Nah, I like my parents too much. lol