Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Bushel and a Peck

"I love you, a bushel and a peck."
I've probably sang that song to my kids a hundred times and I never knew what a bushel and a peck were. Thanks to apple picking at Sky Top Orchard, now I know.
A bushel (or half bushel) is the larger basket. A peck is the smaller basket.
We love the experience of picking our own fruit. The kids delight in the experience and seem to enjoy the fruits of their labors (no pun intended) all the more.




Alex carrying a peck sized basket.







We ate some apples as well as fresh, hot off the grease, apple doughnuts.
We liked the honey crisp apples the best.

The kids loved the orchard playground.
We had a brief traumatic experience in the end. While the kids were happily playing and Rob and I relaxing the warm mountain air, the owner of the orchard came around asking if anyone was missing a daughter about 10 or 12 with blond hair. I, of course, would never be that irresponsible and knew exactly where my children were (I thought). Not to mention, I don't have children even near to 10 or 12, nor are they blond. It wasn't until about 20 minutes later when Addie hadn't emerged for a while that I thought the blond 10 or 12 year old might be my daughter. Sure enough, Addie was tearily waiting for us at the cash register. Don't ever ask that man to be a witness at a trial. His facts were all wrong.






THE END.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Picking out your own fruit is always fun! Did you make any jam or applesauce?

Macdonalds said...

That looks so fun!