Monday, February 17, 2014

September

Sweet September.
We started off my favorite month by spending it camping in the mountains and picking apples at Sky Top Orchard.

Delicious hot apple cider donuts and cold fresh apple cider are a tradition at Sky Top.



Dad helping the girls reach the best ones up at the top.






After apple picking we headed to the North Carolina Apple Festival in Hendersonville. All sorts of apple treats and every kind of apple you can (or can't) imagine. My favorite variety was called the Divine. Yum!



The kids loved playing in the river near the camp ground.

Maycie all tuckered out after all those apple activities.

Cami Day.
In memory of my friend, Cami Southwick who died too young two years ago this September, many people in our area baked cookies and delivered them to friends.  We miss you Cami!

Only 6 weeks after loosing Grandma Rabiger, my Grandma Ann passed away. This one was a little more sudden and unexpected and because of my closeness to her it was a little more emotional and difficult for me.



One of dad's favorite childhood memories with Grandma was on Sunday nights watching the The Wonderful World of Disney and eating snacks. Snacks usually consisted of anchovies on crackers and oysters with mustard (or something like that). Dad attributes his sophisticated pallet to this tradition. So in memory of Grandma after the funeral we watched a Disney movie and tried to recreate the snacks. 


Liesl and I adoring our new baby nephew, Jack. Caitlin and Trevor's first.

As a last minute treat Marilyn and I traveled down to Cedar City for the evening to see Peter and the Star Catcher at the Shakespeare Festival with my mom.

Happy 35th, mom!
To celebrate my birthday we had Chinese food night with chopsticks. We hope to make it a regular thing.

My healthier cake creation.
In my attempt to go sugar free I tweaked my favorite chocolate cake recipe. Rather than flour, I ground almonds to make my own almond flour. Instead of sugar I ground dates. I also used a healthier coconut oil. The result was delicious. In fact my friends and kids preferred it to the regular cake that was also there.

Sweet Kristin gave Sandy and I a little party to celebrate our birthdays.

No comments: